Saturday, February 12

Bride's Waterfall (Air Terjun Pengantin)

Year : 2009
Runtime : 80 Min.
Genre : Horror
Director : Rizal Mantovani
Movie Stars : Tamara Bleszynski, Marcel Chandrawinata, Tyas Mirasih, Kieran Sidhu, Navy Rizky Tavania
Production : Maxima Pictures
Country: Indonesia 
Language : Indonesian

First I would like to say that this was my first Indonesian film. Cheers! I watched it with no clue or idea of what the Indonesian people find "scary", so forgive me if you are Indonesian and you were scared to death by this film, I was not. I don't want to bash the movie or judge it like I've seen 1000 horror films. The cast, especially Lilo (that's one hottie), acted like they've had some kind of training. Don't you hate it when you feel like you are watching someones home movie because the acting is shit? The story was satisfactory and the scenery was brilliant, but I have a few bones to pick with the directors. When the cast were in the hut of the killer why didn't anyone think to take a few/many of the weapons? I mean, if someone was trying to kill me I would want something to protect myself with besides my bare hands. I would be grabbing knives, rods, and anything else that could cause bodily harm to anybody. Icang had a working phone on him the whole time, obviously he had a decent signal from the island because on multiple occasions his cell rang will calls from other parts of Indonesia. I know this because no one in the group were seen calling Icang after the first few were killed. Why didn't he think to even try to call someone for help? I don't think anyone would have gotten there in time to save all of them but still... at least you tried.  I'm guessing that Mandy and Amy were thinking that Icang was playing a game when he ran to the group in near tears and yelling that their friends were dead, because they didn't seem too worried. Lilo, on the other hand, bought weapons along the way to the hut. Tiara angered me because she had a look of annoyance on her face while Icang was freaking out, like she was thinking "Ugh.. can you shut up now?" Granted that I would be annoyed if someone was screaming and I though they were joking, but unless Icang was taking acting classes his fear should have seemed real to the cast. Those were just a few plot holes that I would like to point out, but this may be how Indonesian horror is in general. So I won't judge too harshly on the rating because all countries are different in terms of films, especially horror. This film reminded me of something that I would see on the Syfy channel in America. You aren't scared to shit, but it's just enough to keep you watching. I would recommend this film to people who have 80 minutes to kill or for people who are scared easily and can't handle the serious horror films. There is quite a bit of blood, but it's definitely not Saw (film) bloody. 

Plot A group of friends go on holiday to Pengantin islands where they are hunted by a traditional black magic shaman covered with a mask. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search